Term 4 enrolments now open
Wednesday day – 2 places now available due to cancellation, contact for reduced fee.
- Time – 10-2.30, 4.5 hours, 7 session 2019
- Term 4, 16th October- 27th November
- Cost – $510, (early bird rate $460 now closed)
Thursday Evening – 2 places available
- Time – 6.30-9pm, 2.5 hours, 7 sessions
- Term 4, 17th October- 28th November
- Cost – $380 , (Early bird rate $345 now closed)
This painting class is for students who are beginners and for those with prior painting experience who would like to develop their painting skills while developing their own painting style. Students will be inspired by historical and contemporary artists including the Australian and European impressionists and modernists, and contemporary Australian and international artists. Students will explore a whole range of subject matter including still life, the landscape (Ochre’s particular passion), interior, figure, portraiture, with opportunity for students to work on their own projects and interests. Students may use oil or acrylic paints in this relaxing and supportive class. Self directed projects are welcome!
What you will learn:
Over the term, students will learn :
- About improving their understanding of colour mixing and tone
- Learn about about composition, and about the vital elements that hold a painting together
- Learn about different colour palettes and how they affect composition
- Learn a variety of paint application techniques such as glazing,
- Working wet in wet, building thicker paint layers (impasto) and more
- Take inspiration from a range of different historical and contemporary artists and their approach to painting
- En plein air painting – natural and urban landscape
- About abstraction
- About expressionistic and modernist techniques
Ochre’s teaching style is relaxed and fun while still teaching essential skills and concepts. This course is structured around two week projects. However self-directed projects with tutor input are welcome!
Ochre Lawson is a practising artist with over 12 years experience as a painting and drawing tutor. Ochre works with students at their own level and pace and encourages them to discover their own interests and style in a relaxing and supportive atmosphere.
Art materials are not included in the course fee. Students will need to bring the following items:
- Canvas, canvas paper or Board as a support to work on. Through the term you will need around 3-4 supports. Bring an art journal and one support, minimum 14” x18″ for the first class. These may be cheap canvasses from a $2 shop.
- An A4 art journal, 2B pencil, willow charcoal and rubber for sketching out ideas
- A selection of 3-4 filbert brushes small, medium and large size. A large glue brush for painting grounds is also useful.
- A flat plastic or wooden palette (no wells)- an old large flat plate works well.
- Rags, bull dog clips, apron, masking tape
- Paints: Students may use Oils or acrylics depending on preference.
A good basic colour palette includes: Cadmium hue yellow light (warm) and lemon yellow (cool); * Ultramarine Blue (warm) and phthalo blue (cool); Cadmium Red Hue (warm) and Alizarin Red (cool); Burnt Umber; Titanium White; extras – ochre yellow, burnt sienna, raw umber, ivory black, magenta, sap green.
You can buy student quality paints (Matisse Derivan Acrylics or Art Spectrum oils are good, reasonably priced brands). Cheap paints are a waste of money!
Cadmium colours are more expensive, and it is perfectly ok to bring ‘hue’ from this range eg Cadmium yellow light (hue)
If using Oil Paints:
Small bottle of ‘Stand Oil’ (this is heated linseed oil that dries fast than regular linseed oil)
You will need odourless solvent for cleanup and mixing mediums. Bring at least a 500ml bottle. We recommend ‘Gamsol’ by Gamblin. This is the least toxic solvent on the market and the same price as other odourless solvents. Solvents MUST be odourless. Oil painting solvents and mediums must not be tipped down the sinks. You will need to bring jars with lids to take away spent solvents/mediums. Spent solvents/mediums must be taken with you and not left in the hall. Your tutor will give you information on reusing and disposing of spent solvents and mediums.
If using Acrylic Paints:
Bring a general purpose flow medium.
Maximum of 15 students in all our classes Our class sizes are small, ensuring you receive the individual tuition you need.
Unless otherwise noted, fees for adult classes exclude art materials